Wednesday 18 March 2009

Anonymous Plea

I am not a statistic.

I would like it noted by the leaders of the world that I refuse to be a statistic. I don’t want to be one of the nameless dead; nor do I wish to be represented by an anonymous soldier because the leaders sent too many people to die in a senseless war- I won’t be seen as cannon fodder. I don’t want to be a face in the crowd, I won’t be an island.

I don’t want to be known as a number anymore than anyone else; neither a national insurance number nor a barcode; not branded with a cattle prod. Reserve for me the dignity you might accord in death for my living years. Acknowledge my needs, my dreams, my hopes and my pains and remember that I feel just like you. I too love my children, have hopes for them. I cry when my husband, father, brother, friend or wife dies because it hurts me like it would hurt you. 

If the television is on and a face stares out at you, gaunt from hunger, remember that I am not a statistic, I am a person, a living, breathing human being, supposedly protected by the same international rights and mechanisms as you. I might not be that person on the television but I could be. So could you; only chance put you where it put you and only chance put that face on your television. Please don’t ignore that face, remember, it could have been you.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly an impressive speech.

    ReplyDelete